Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Top Ten Characters I'd Want In My Family


Top Ten Tuesday, hey-o. In case you are unfamiliar with this weekly feature, it was created over at The Broke and the Bookish for the simple reason that lists are awesome. Plus it helps us get to know one another. Anyway, this week we are taking a look at the top ten characters I'd want in my family.

My picks:

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid: A Memoir1. Bill Bryson. Okay, I know he's not a character, but a writer who writes about his travel and life experiences, and history. But he's awesome and I totally wish I was related to him.

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie: A Flavia de Luce Mystery2. Flavia de Luce from The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and others in the series by Alan Bradley. Flavia is as awesome as 11-year-olds get. She's super smart, quirky, and has a way with chemistry, especially poisons. I would stay on her good side though; she doesn't feel bad using her chemistry prowess to seek revenge.

Paper Towns3. Margo Roth Spiegelman from Paper Towns by John Green. This is the type of girl I'd love to have as a cousin. Mostly I would want to get postcards and stuff from all the places she makes it to in her crazy travels, and hear the stories of what situations she gets herself into and out of.

Dairy Queen4. DJ Schwenk from Dairy Queen and sequels by Catherine Gilbert Murdock. I love DJ. She's strong, plays and knows football, and pretty much holds her family together even if she doesn't realize it. She pretty much single-handedly kept her family's dairy farm running, for crying out loud. I'd definitely want her as a sister because I'd know I could count on her.

Poison Study5. Janco from Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. I'd love to have this dude as my older brother. He's fun, funny, and playful, but also could kick anyone's ass if they were mean to me.

Stargirl (Readers Circle)6. Stargirl Caraway from Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. I love Stargirl. She knows exactly what she wants and is kind to everyone. Most important, she's not afraid to be herself or what she wants to be. I'd certainly want her as a daughter (well, when I'm older).

Savvy7. Grandpa Bomba from Savvy and Scumble by Ingrid Law. If Grandpa Bomba were my grandpa, not only would that be the best because he can move freaking mountains, but that would also mean I would have a savvy too. And Grandpa Bomba is a pretty fantastic guy anyway, a bit mischievous but wise, as a grandpa should be.

Sunshine8. Sunshine (Rae) from Sunshine by Robin McKinley. She's a baker, people. A baker. Who creates her own delicious recipes! I would LOVE to have her be my sister so she could bake me things all the time.

A Long Way From Chicago (Puffin Modern Classics)9. Grandma Dowdel from A Long Way from Chicago and A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck. Grandma Dowdel is probably the best schemer I've come across in my reading. Her shenanigans aren't for pure fun, either; oh no, they're to get some justice in a town where there isn't much unless you go after it yourself. And she's an excellent cook to boot. Be my grandma, Grandma Dowdel.

To Kill a Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition10. Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird. I love my dad, but I think Atticus would make a top-notch papa if I had to pick one from literature.

Welp, those are my top ten. What are yours? Mosey on over to The Broke and the Bookish to let the world know!

4 comments:

  1. Stargirl! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I have to read Stargirl. And I totally didn't think of Atticus Finch! Great choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah! Bill Bryson! And you chose the cover of The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid! LOVE LOVE LOVE. Margo and D.J. are also good choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had Stargirl on my list too! And how can I forget Grandma Dowdel? I adore that book.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails