Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Top Ten Book-to-Movie Adaptations

Hey all! It's Top Ten Tuesday time again, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, and I know you want to know what my top ten favorite book-to-movie adaptations are.

1. To Kill a Mockingbird. If you haven't seen this movie and yet loved the book, you NEED to go watch this now. It's THE BEST adaptation I've ever seen, bar none. So close to the book, with a stellar performance by Gregory Peck as Atticus.

2. Pride and Prejudice. Yeah, sorry, I mean the one with Keira Knightly. I really liked this one, and I don't have the patience to sit through the six-hour BBC one.

3. The Princess Bride. One of the only adaptations where I like the movie better than the book. It ends better! And is so quotable.

4. A Kid in King Arthur's Court. Based on Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Really, I just wanted to remind you all that this movie exists. Remember the '90s??

5. A Christmas Story. This is based on a few essays from Jean Shepherd's In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash. I could watch this movie a million times and still find it funny. It's pretty much my favorite.

6. Shrek. Yeah, this is a picture book by William Steig. Surprise! I love the movie way better though.

7. Homeward Bound. How can you not love this movie? The dogs and cat talk! And one of them is Michael J. Fox!

8. Bridget Jones's Diary. Okay, so maybe I like the movie better than the book a little more often than I thought. Movie = awesome, book = pretty good.

9. The Secret Garden. I love this movie. The garden itself is magical, and the young actors excellent. Plus the music is gorgeous.

10. Coraline. The movie did a great job at translating the creepy factor of the book. The stop-action animation really did the trick. I just wasn't so sure about some character additions... where the heck did that other random kid come from?

There you have it! Top ten that I can think of at the moment. Go to The Broke and the Bookish to list your top ten favorites.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! Homeward Bound! I love the talking animals! And I didn't know that Shrek was based on a William Steig book! Great discovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Secret Garden. I never read the book, but that movie has such sad nostalgic value. It's about the same feel for me as A Little Princess. lol@the Keira Knightly version of P&P, I have the opposite issue with that one - it's too short and rushed for me! Good list! I've never read Shrek, but I've always been curious lol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails