Thursday, May 26, 2011

Armchair BEA, Days 3 and 4

Okay, so I missed yesterday... my bad! In my defense I was real busy.

Let me start off with the discussion topic from yesterday: Networking!


I don't have an interview for you all, but I will share the best networking tool for bloggers that I've come across: Twitter. I don't know what I'd do without it. It's a great way to get into conversations with others, be they bloggers, publishers or authors. I have made so many contacts through this social networking site, and I love getting to know people better through it.

Some of my favorite bloggers? That's a tough one, as there are so many (I'm sure that's been said by most people), but I need to give a shout out to Jamie from The Perpetual Page-Turner, as well as The Broke and the Bookish, which I also write for. She is always so encouraging and fun to talk to, plus she's awesome. I'm also quite fond of the Boston Book Bums, who are super fun to tweet and chat with, and I love their Bookish Intelligence Reports (gotta keep up with the bookish news). Plus they're from my neck of the woods, so that's pretty great.

Okay, on to today's topic: Nurturing Blogger Relationships.

Actually, I'm going to go with Twitter again here. Love getting into the conversations. It's pretty much the only way I talk with other bloggers, except for in comments (though I don't write comments as frequently as I should). I also use a lot of e-mail stuff, but only with publishers and other bloggers in The Broke and the Bookish (*coughJamiecough*).

I also like to meet bloggers in person, but alas I have few opportunities to do so since not many live in the Boston area. Though I did just join a Facebook group for us Bostonians, so I have hope.

As far as book pitches go, I get annoyed when I'm approached to review books for adults. This is primarily a young adult/children's review blog; I only review adult titles if I think they'll appeal to teens. This is not just because I just enjoy YA/children's, it's because this blog is also professional development for me. I am hoping to be a YA librarian at some point (sooner rather than later, fingers crossed) so it just wastes time if I start reading a book and find out that it's not for teens. I have a lot of books that I really should read, considered classics in YA, that I should be reading instead.

Sorry about that rant! Whoo. Glad to get that off my chest! :)

Just thought I'd randomly throw in some happy sunflowers. 
Anyway, that's my story. Pretty much it revolves around Twitter. How do you network/keep in touch?

5 comments:

  1. Agree- twitter is a great way to keep in touch as well as get to know authors & writers! Essential, IMHO. Nice to find your blog - I see the Secret of Kells up there- what a beautiful movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! Yes, I very much agree, Secret of Kells is a gorgeous movie in every way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first visit here...isn't this Armchair event fun?

    I use Twitter and Facebook, too, and sometimes get requests for genres that don't interest me. But I have a Review Policy page on all my blogs (and I have fourteen!), so I think the authors and publishers may actually read that, since most of the requests are for those books I might enjoy.

    Here's MY ARMCHAIR POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twitter = book blogger matchmaker. For real. Not in the romantic sense, but seriously.. how many freaking awesome friendships have you made from it? It's so easy to jump into a conversation, plus it allows you to creep hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Twitter is awesome! I was going to post something today for armchair, but didn't. It started off with this:
    TWITTER! and then I said why I thought it was so important and what ideas were born on Twitter. Twitter birthed my ideas...too funny!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails