Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Top Ten Books in 2011

This top ten Tuesday, hosted by the lovely blog The Broke and the Bookish, I will do a bit differently. There has been a lot of talk recently about highly anticipated books in the coming year, and it's something I've been thinking about. So here are my thoughts on lists like this.

I think it's fantastic that others get excited about books that are going to come out soon or in the distant future. But I don't quite understand it. I have so many books that I want to read that are already out, or that I already own. I don't even look at other books that will be coming out in the near future, unless I loved the first in the series so much that I can't stand to wait another minute to find out what happens. And even then, I probably won't pick up the sequel until well after its release date (unless, of course, it's Harry Potter). This was the case with The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness. I was blown away by it, and immediately wanted to read the sequel. But I didn't have it with me and the library was closed, so I had no choice but to wait. I took it out of the library, and it's been sitting in my car for weeks.

I know of books that will be released soon, but I don't necessarily feel any excitement for them. Curiousity, sure. But I can wait. I've got plenty to occupy my time before then, and then some.

All this said, I do have to admit I am looking forward to Delirium by Lauren Oliver, since Before I Fall was pretty amazing. I'd like to read it before then, as many other bloggers seem to have done already, but like I said, I have plenty to read until February 1, 2011.

If you are one of those people who knows what they want to read in the next year, link up to your own top ten post on The Broke and the Bookish's post. Maybe I'll get some ideas from you!

2 comments:

  1. I kind of feel the way you do. I never paid much attention to what was coming out until I started seriously blogging (like 3 months ago.) Yea, I knew Mockingjays and the big ones like that, but I have so much I want to read (and when you sit in a high school library all day every day, the list never ends...) that is already out.

    However, I do enjoy my newfound knowledge of some of the other titles that are coming, and I enjoy reading the early reviews of them (and even reading some of them myself.) But, I pretty much had to read a whole bunch of other people's posts to make my list from. I just don't have that on my radar. Don't sweat it -- there will always be time to read those upcoming titles!

    I also discovered that you can get lists of them on Amazon and other bookish sites, but I don't spend much time looking at that. It's nice to know it is there, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My post is empty, too. Wish I knew what's coming out next year.

    My post: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/12/top-ten-books-im-anticipating-for-2011.html

    I welcome recommendations.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails